Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Spain Is Out To Get Me

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain.

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8143362@N07/

Since my last post, my life has gotten even more amazing. On the morning of our departure to Granada, we hopped on the bus after dragging luggage through the streets of Madrid. Again there was more waiting. My friends and I are starting to think it's an API thing. ; ] For an hour and a half we enjoyed the beautiful countryside of Spain and then came upon our stop of Toledo, La Ciudad Antigua, or the Ancient City. Have you ever heard of the expression "Holy Toledo!" This comes from the fact that the city has eighty churches, with thirty still in operation today. Pretty holy, huh? The city is absolutely gorgeous. On top of a hill, it's the definition of European, ancient, and picturesque. With the sun shining down on us, we toured through the city, the churches, synagogues, and more. My friends and I had the most delicious lunch in a small cafe. After recharging and getting lots of pictures we got back on the bus for a six hour drive to Granada.

The Spanish countryside is beautiful. Most of it is sprawling plains and farms with mountains in the distance. Every once in a while we would pass through a town, but it didn't last for long. Several times we saw a large bull sign: just plain black, very large, and so contrasting to the countryside. Spaniards love their torros. Buses and trains are a great way to travel through Europe; you see so much of wherever you're traveling through.

As we neared Granada, I could feel my legs shaking. I was about to meet my host family, the people who would take me in for four months. I was so nervous!! Nevermind the fact that I don't even know these people, but I can barely stumble through a conversation in Spanish. And what if their house smells? The chaos of unloading from the bus only added to my anxiety as students wrestled with their luggage from below the bus. Host families stood in clumps looking nervous, excited, and a little terrified as well. Rachael and I were finally called forward after moments of agonizing suspense and we were introduced to our host mother, Marietta. She's very short, with brown hair. I don't really know how else to describe, except that her voice is raspy from smoking for fifteen years. Nonetheless, she embraced us and we were on our way. The walk to our apartment was short, but seemed to take years due to the dead weight of my large backpack on my back and the second bag I was dragging. All the while I was struggling to carry on a conversation in Spanish and take in the immediate sights on my new home.

After an awkward elevator ride in cramped spaces, we were introduced to our new home. It's on the top floor of an apartment building right in the center of town. A five minute walk will get you to class, a ten minute walk to the bars, and a fifteen minute walk to La Alhambra. Our room is quite big considering what I was expecting, but it's rather plain. Two twin beds with white comforters, a table, and a closet. There's a patio/deck out in the back that has the greatest view of Granada, La Alhambra, and the Sierra Nevadas. Heaven? I think so. I'll be out there a lot more once it warms up a bit.

Marietta gave us the choice of Spanish tortillas or churros con chocolate for dinner. Do I really need to tell you what we chose? After ditching our luggage, we walked just a minute to a cafe where students go  all the time to watch soccer, Cafe Futbol. The waiter knew Marietta and was joking around with us. Rachael and I struggled through the Spanish, but Marietta was patient and understanding. She has had American students before, so she knows the drill.

On Saturday day our program took a tour around Granada, including where the school, tapas, bars, shops and more are. Granada is the most unique and beautiful place I've ever been. The moorish influence on the city mixed with the obvious Spanish culture is amazing. After our tour, we split up to shop, eat, and generally get a feel of our surroundings.

Sunday a group of us headed up to Hotel Alhambra, on recommendations from an API director. It sits atop the hill right next to La Alhambra overlooking the city of Granada and the Sierra Nevadas. After a little bit of a hike, we made it to the four-star hotel. It's so gorgeous. I feel so lame saying that because it doesn't do justice. The hotel is grand and displays a mix of Moorish and Spanish styles throughout the lobby and patio. The hotel allows anyone to come and enjoy coffee, food, etc on the patio that overlooks the whole city and mountains. We sat up there for three hours sipping coffee, shootin' the shit, taking in the sun, and pinching ourselves. I couldn't stop staring at the mountains and hoping that I get to go skiing soon.

On Monday, API took us up to La Alhambra, the most famous monument in Spain. From the 14th century, the palace has been added to over the years from different rulers. The monument spans many buildings, many from different times, but all certainly connected. Many rooms were used for prayer and meeting places for foreigner ambassadors or kings. All over the walls are Arabic inscriptions and Moroccan designs. Inscribed in latin is a Spanish motto that reads "Plus Ultra." Before Christopher Columbus discovered America, Spain's motto was "No Plus", or "no more." The Spaniards believed that Spain was the end of the world, and certainly most important. But when Columbus sailed in 1492, Spain changed their latin phrase to "Plus Ultra" or "Far Beyond" in recognition of their being more in the world, more in life. I really love this story. Even now as I type this I am getting the chills.

Although overall life has been more than I could ever ask for, Saturday night was the spark that started the fire. I lost my camera, UVM student ID, and key to my apartment. All in one night. The worst part was that it was my fault. I had just gotten a small satchel to take out at night so I wouldn't lose anything. But I was so stupid and didn't buckle it closed, so it would randomly flap open and things would fall out without my notice. How dumb. I know better than that. Once I realized I had lost everything I went back to the discoteca, but they hadn't found anything of course. I've tried back several times since and nothing. On top of that, my host mom called me "new and inexperienced" (in Spanish of course) when I told her what happened. How infuriating! That's the last thing I am! I practically lived alone most of the week in high school, I travel alone all the time, and I've been to Europe! How dare you call me "inexperienced"!

The best part was when my program told me that I had to pay for a change of locks and replacement keys. Great. Now I have to pay for another camera and all new locks. Let's just throw away money now.  I was so upset at this point I wasn't enjoying Spain anymore. I was upset, crabby, sad, and bitter.

A small ray of hope came when I found out on Monday afternoon that I didn't have to pay for the locks. Marietta asked me if there was an address on the key, and when I told her no, she told me I could just copy Rachael's key. What a relief!!!! I was so happy I decided to go out with some friends for tapas. So I had lost a camera, that's replaceable. At least I didn't have to spend hundreds of dollars on a change of locks.

The night was going great, the tapas were okay, but the company was fantastic. At midnight the tapas bar was closing, so my roommate and I started to leave. In the confusion we forgot to pay, so our friend came outside running after us. When I realized what I had happened I turned around immediately to correct my mistake, and ran into a lamp post. I literally walked right into a pole. Hard. Instantly I could feel the blood dropping. I spent the rest of the night with a tissue shoved up my nose and sobbing. Sobbing because I had walked into a lamp post. Sobbing because I was embarrassed. Sobbing because I was frustrated. Sobbing because I was exhausted. Sobbing because I miss my family. Sobbing because I miss Brian. Sobbing because I walked into a lamp post.

I shook it off yesterday with Rachael with a beautiful run along the Rio Genil. It's only a few minutes walk from our apartment, and is truly runner's heaven. As I ran along the river, my view included Spanish buildings and houses, lines of trees, bridges across the river, the river flowing down toward us, and right in the center were the Sierra Nevadas. I could get used to this. Although our fun was a little spoiled when we were catcalled by some jerks. Usually I would've said something, but Rachael and I just ignored them and kept running. We know we have to be more careful here, and we'll be sure to never go running alone or near sunset. Other than that it was beautiful and I'm excited to run here.

I had a great night out with my friends last night and I'm back on track (for the most part). Although I lost some stuff, it's just stuff. My sister, dad, and Brian helped me to realize this. It would be a sin for me to waste my wonderful opportunity here with bitterness and sadness. I'm still adjusting here and learning my way around, but wasting my time dwelling on something that I can't change is worthless. I need to soak up every second of this experience. This is my time. My time to try new things, learn a language, push myself, travel, explore, and learn about myself.

Adios for now!

(I will try and post more often so they're not as long; this week was insanity as you know.)

1 comment: