“The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.” - Martin Luther King, Jr.
On Friday morning, my friends and I went for a little adventure. We decided to go for a hike that was recommended to us from some students who have been here since September. The directions were vague which resulted in us wandering for some time, but who's in a hurry when you're in Spain? First we checked out the cemetery that sits atop the hill, past La Alhambra. It's the most packed cemetery I've ever seen. There's literally mausoleums on top of mausoleums, and the rest of the sites are so close to each other it's hard to separate one from the other. Nonetheless, it's gorgeous. Each site (even the ones stacked twenty feet in the air) have flowers on them, a surprising number or them fresh flowers. It was a little eery being there because there were just so many sites, but when I took the time to appreciate the beauty, it wasn't so bad. A few families were walking through, visiting their loved ones' sites, and even placing fresh flowers down.
Once we navigated our way out, we headed up a muddy clay road. Where to? We had no idea. But that's half the fun! After winding our way up the hill, and disputing on whether or not to cut through the olive tree grove, we stuck to our guns and managed to find some hiking trails. Great success! Immediately we were brought upon a beautiful vista. It was a little cloudy out, but gorgeous nonetheless. We kept on, singing "left, left, left, right left," and others. It brought me back to hiking at home. Getting out in nature, soaking up the quiet, while also sharing some laughs and memories with friends that cannot be shared anywhere else. I was craving a peanut butter and jelly and trail mix so hardcore it wasn't funny! I guess that's the price I'll pay for running around Spain. : P
After a successful day of hiking, we mapped out our Saturday--skiing in the Sierra Nevadas! Gasp! Is this actually my life?! Our plans were a little vague, but we knew we had to take a bus to the bus station where the bus left at 8am. That was about it! We met at the bus stop at 7:30am looking like deers in the headlights. None of us were 100% sure which bus we had to take or where to take it from.It was still pitch black out and here we are, a bunch of Americans, dressed in our ski gear running from corner to corner looking for the right bus. At random you would here one of us yell, "Oh look! He's carrying skis! Follow him!" Which of course led us nowhere, because that person would be walking towards the ski team's chartered bus.
Eventually we found the correct bus nine minutes before our 8am bus was scheduled to leave. As it neared 8am, and the bus station was nowhere in sight, my hopes were growing dim. We arrived at the bus station at 8:11am! Damn. At least we know the drill for next time. The next bus for the Sierra Nevadas left at 10am. Luckily there was rental equipment at the bus station, so we spent an hour renting our stuff. About half of our group were newbies, so the process of them picking out their boots, helmets, and gloves was quite entertaining. The snowpants available were atrocious--think cerca 1975. Horrible.
After a windy and climactic bus ride to the ski village, we arrived to Pradollano, Spain just before 11am. What a sight! I've seen such a picturesque ski town. I can't put this into words, so please go to my flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8143362@N07/). I'm not going to lie. The process of getting everyone ready, suited up, bags checked, and ticketed was long and tedious. All I wanted to do was get on that mountain! It's been calling my name since I got here in Granada. But we finally hopped on the gondola to about half way up the mountain (which is still more than twice the size of any mountain I've been on.) We took another lift just a little higher up so we get something pretty easy for our new skiiers. While Chad (intermediate) stayed with the beginners, Steph, Rachael, Corrin, and I headed up to a black diamond chair. From below it didn't seem so bad, and I figure, I'm in Spain-why the hell not? We got to the peak and we could see Africa! I still can't believe this life is real. Once we got up there, the black diamond seemed a little more black and diamond than from below. Nuts. I hesitated for so long I actually had windburn on my nose. Corrin was also having trouble mustering up the strength to go down, and I realized this, so I bucked myself up and talked her into it. There was no other way down, but another black diamond. And I thought to myself, "I'm in Spain. Just do it. Mom's got your back." And I did it! I stopped every few turns for Corrin, but I did just fine. The rentals were a bit of a challenge but I can now say I've skiied a black diamond in the Sierra Nevadas!
The rest of the day was great. I spent about an hour and a half helping my friend Allison get down the mountain. Lunch consisted of me kicking back on the cobblestone, soaking up the sun, chowing down on a burger, and enjoying the company around me. Most of us opted to take the later bus, so we still had time to ski. The experienced skiiers (and one snowboarder!) headed back up for one last run before the bus. Without exaggeration, this run was the most exhilarating and intoxicating existence I've ever experienced in my life. It's one of the few times in my life I've been 100% lost and enthralled with the present. The sun on my face, the sound of my friend's laughter, the speed under my feet, the faint sound of music in my ears, the smell and punch of the fresh air, and the sight before my eyes was and is heaven for me. Just one of those runs in the day was enough to turn it into the perfect day.
But now I must pay the price. After a hard and long day of skiing, my friends and I decided to keep going hard and go out on the town. I didn't stay out late (for Spain's standards), but the next morning my already sore throat was worse. I am in no way saying I am surprised. Of course I got sick! I've been going, going, going since I landed in Madrid. I made the wise (and a little sad) choice of not watching the Superbowl at the Irish pub last night and got a solid twelve hours of sleep. My goal is to be rested up and healthy by the time I head off to Rome. (Early Thursday morning!)
Along with being sick, I'm also starting to loose weight. Not noticeable to anyone else but me, but it's there. The combination of barely being able to choke down half of the food my host mother prepares for me and hiking, skiing, or walking all day long is starting to add up. I'm looking forward to Rome for heaping plates of fettucini, raviolis, and gnocchis. Bring 'em my way!
I'm starting to get into the thick of it now. I think I'm starting to pass the honeymoon stage, as I've been here over a week and a half. There are definitely things I appreciate about being here, like the simple fact that I'm in Spain. But many things are starting to creep up on me. The day I went skiing I really missed my morning ritual with my dad before skiing: bagels and coffee. What a delicious start to a great day of skiing! Instead I got a small bowl of cereal. Don't get me wrong, I love cereal, but that sure is not going to get me through a day of skiing. I've been really craving pancakes too--Brian's pancakes to be exact. They're just so yummy! There's nothing like that here. Oh, and chicken wings. Yummmm. And delicious mexican food. Where is that?! Can someone air ship some of that to me? I guess mostly what I miss is food. Oddly enough, Spanish food really isn't that good. Today I was served split pea soup for lunch. Those of you that know me will know it didn't go over very well. No wonder I'm losing weight. But I also miss simple things like watching LOST in the comfort of my home. A lot of what I miss is familiarity. You just never really know what you're going to get here. Meals are always a gamble. Discussions are always a challenge. And nighttime is always lonely.
My gameplan is to get through this week. I finally start classes tomorrow. Mostly what I need in my life right now is routine. But that won't last long because it's off to Rome on Thursday morning with my program. I realize that in the grand scheme of things, I really have nothing to complain about. I'm living in a foreign country, learning another language, traveling to amazing places, and making wonderful friends. And I'll be home in a short three and a half months.
I hope you're all well. Eat some enchiladas for me!
If you haven't, keep an eye on Peggy's photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/8143362@N07/. She's got a GREAT eye!!! :D
ReplyDelete